Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.
Let's Discuss That Book!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rockstars That Finished The Book!

3 posters

Go down

Rockstars That Finished The Book!  Empty Rockstars That Finished The Book!

Post  Kayla Zarn Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:02 am

I don't have my book with me so I don't know what part 3 is called or the dates. I googled it but google failed me.

Who do you conside the novel's protagonist, Lisbeth or Mikael? Why?

What point was Larsson trying to make with the themes running through this novel? How do issues such as man's brutality to women, journalistic integrity, and more general notions of trust tie in with each other throughout the book?

What function do the sex-crime statistics on each section's title page serve?

On page 126, Henrik tells Mikael, "If there's one thing I've learned, it's never engage in a fight you're sure to lose. On the other hand, never let anyone who has insulted you get away with it. Bid your time and strike back when you're in a position of strength - even if you no longer need to strike back." Over the course of the novel, who puts this advice to the best use? How, and why?

How does the involvement of several Vanger brothers with Swedish fascist groups cloud Mikael's investigation into Harriet's dispapearance? What role does Harald play?

Why does Henrik become an investor in Millenium? Does his plan succeed?

Discuss the character of Lisbeth. Some think she is a "perfect victim", others find her intimidating, and Mikael wonders if she has Asperger's, but the reader is allowed to see exactly how her mind works. How do you see her? How do you think she sees herself?

Why do you think Blomkvist decided not to publish the truth about Martin Vanger? Do you think he did the right thing?

What did you make of the final scene of the book, where Salander saw Blomkvist with Erica Berger? Had you hoped taht Salander and Blomkvist would stay together?
Kayla Zarn
Kayla Zarn

http://lifelovehospitals.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Rockstars That Finished The Book!  Empty Good questions!

Post  Bookwyrm Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 am

Who do you consider the novel's protagonist, Lisbeth or Mikael? Why?

It was Mikael's story, so he would technically be the protagonist, with Lisbeth as a major character, but this is more of an ensemble story with more than one protagonist.

What point was Larsson trying to make with the themes running through this novel? How do issues such as man's brutality to women, journalistic integrity, and more general notions of trust tie in with each other throughout the book?

I'm not sure he was trying to make a specific point as much as to explore all of the above. What could make a person behave in a certain way? How might a person react to this situation? If there was a specific point, I guess I missed it.

Hints that a sex crime was committed? They honestly didn't appear that relevant to me, so I barely glanced at them. I guess I'm just not much for figuring out hidden meanings. I'm pretty dense--you need to hit me in the face with it before I "get" it sometimes.

On page 126, Henrik tells Mikael, "If there's one thing I've learned, it's never engage in a fight you're sure to lose. On the other hand, never let anyone who has insulted you get away with it. Bide your time and strike back when you're in a position of strength - even if you no longer need to strike back." Over the course of the novel, who puts this advice to the best use? How, and why?

Mikael, definitely. Lisbeth "needs" to strike back ASAP, that's the way she is. Mikael is actually just as clever, but more patient and subtle. He was already getting his life back, he didn't NEED to get his revenge on Wennerstrom, he CHOSE to.

How does the involvement of several Vanger brothers with Swedish fascist groups cloud Mikael's investigation into Harriet's disappearance? What role does Harald play?

A lot of it is over-explanation from a historian and just background information, and I can't remember enough details to answer how that clouded Mikael's investigation, but Harald was pretty much a red herring, in my opinion. He was too obvious a suspect for me to ever consider him one.

Because he is a very clever businessman, and his plan succeeds wonderfully.

Discuss the character of Lisbeth. Some think she is a "perfect victim", others find her intimidating, and Mikael wonders if she has Asperger's, but the reader is allowed to see exactly how her mind works. How do you see her? How do you think she sees herself?

She's "different" because of her photographic memory, so maybe she grew up feeling like a misfit and picked on, and, true to her character, she chose to emphasize her differentness to hide her vulnerability and keep from being hurt more. Honestly? I know several Aspies, and she fits the profile perfectly. The Aspies I know are highly intelligent social misfits. Combine Asperger's with a genius IQ and photographic memory, yeah, that could definitely be Lisbeth.

Why do you think Blomkvist decided not to publish the truth about Martin Vanger? Do you think he did the right thing?

Yes. It would have hurt more than it helped, and Henrik and Harriet deserved better than that.

What did you make of the final scene of the book, where Salander saw Blomkvist with Erica Berger? Had you hoped taht Salander and Blomkvist would stay together?

The characters stayed true throughout the story. There was never any question of Mikael leaving Erica, and Lisbeth doesn't have the self-esteem to try to compete with her. The ending was sad, but expected. I would have liked to see them stay together in a way, but, honestly, Lisbeth deserves better than a tomcat like Mikael. I would have liked to see her realize that, but maybe in the other books she begins to develop some self-esteem.
Bookwyrm
Bookwyrm

Back to top Go down

Rockstars That Finished The Book!  Empty Re: Rockstars That Finished The Book!

Post  rosie8604 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 pm

Who do you conside the novel's protagonist, Lisbeth or Mikael? Why?

Lisbeth, just because I love her. You have to know more about her background, which comes in the 2nd book to really know this character.

I didn't pick up on a point being made besides the fact the it seems like man's brutality to women is a pretty common thing in Sweden so it make since for it to be a core part of this book. I'm not really too keen on the latter two themes...I think this question is too sophisticated for me to answer properly.

I like them, most of them really shocked me. I would like to see the American statistics actually. I think it really shows someone who isn't from Sweden how often that sort of thing happens. He did write about two women who were sexually abused in Sweden.

On page 126, Henrik tells Mikael, "If there's one thing I've learned, it's never engage in a fight you're sure to lose. On the other hand, never let anyone who has insulted you get away with it. Bid your time and strike back when you're in a position of strength - even if you no longer need to strike back." Over the course of the novel, who puts this advice to the best use? How, and why?

Mikael, he extracted his revenge pretty perfectly. Lisbeth just added the cherry on top, by stealing his money.

How does the involvement of several Vanger brothers with Swedish fascist groups cloud Mikael's investigation into Harriet's dispapearance? What role does Harald play?

I think Harald's background may have clouded Mikael's judgment at first. I'm only saying this because he was his first suspect, but didn't have any real evidence to support it.

It made a lot of business sense for him to do it. He helped Mikael get back at Winnerstrom perfectly.

She has had to deal with a lot of difficulties in her life, mostly when she was a child, and has had to overcome them in her own way. She is definitely damaged, but she is very intelligent even though she has virtually no education. I think she could definitely have Asperger's.

You know the saying "Don't bit the hand that feeds you?" Yes, he did the right thing.

What did you make of the final scene of the book, where Salander saw Blomkvist with Erica Berger? Had you hoped that Salander and Blomkvist would stay together?

If they did end up together then that wouldn't have been true to the characters. I was sad for Lisbeth, but they can't be together.

rosie8604

Back to top Go down

Rockstars That Finished The Book!  Empty Re: Rockstars That Finished The Book!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down