Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.
Let's Discuss That Book!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3

+2
Maaam
rosie8604
6 posters

Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3

Post  rosie8604 Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 pm

So I have never been a part of a book club before and I'm not really sure how these things are supposed to go. I feel like everyone is waiting on someone else to kick this sucker off, so here goes nothing.

Since the book is broken up into parts I figured we could discuss it in parts as well. I finished part 1 yesterday and I'm two chapters into part 2 at this point so if no one else kicks off that section before I do I probably will soon.

So here are my questions to you:

1. A lot of opinions on this book as that it starts off a little slow. What do you think?

2. Do you think the author built the characters enough by this point to intrigue you?

3. Are you having difficulties with the translation from Swedish to English?

4. What do you think about the narration of the story? Do you like that it jumps between several different characters?

5. Do you like the fact that the author has broken the book up into parts and then further into chapters based on dates?

6. What do you like and dislike about the book so far?

I don't want to ask too many questions with just part one, but let me know what you think. I'll answer the questions myself after a few of you have replied.

rosie8604

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty Re: Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3

Post  Maaam Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:30 pm

1. I'm having a hard time staying interested too glad I'm not the only one.
2. No not yet
4. I think this is why I'm having a hard time,
Thank you for starting this I'm off to read.
Maaaaam

Maaam

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty I need to find a copy first...

Post  Bookwyrm Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 am

I've never done this before, either. I thought we'd read the book, then discuss. I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy yet.
Bookwyrm
Bookwyrm

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty Good Idea

Post  Kayla Zarn Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:32 am

I like splitting it up into parts, that way when we discuss it will be fresh in our minds. I am almost done with part 1 then I'll post my answers!
Kayla Zarn
Kayla Zarn

http://lifelovehospitals.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty Re: Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3

Post  bnanamoore Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:16 am

I am finding the beginning a little bit slow too. Friends who have read it said it gets MUCH better so I will hang in there. I think its a good thing that its divided up the way it is. I am hoping that I will be able to follow the story and keep track of all the characters.

bnanamoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Kayla Zarn Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:23 pm

I got into it and I love it.

1. A lot of opinions on this book as that it starts off a little slow. What do you think?
  It did start off slow, but because I watched the movie I knew what was going on and was able to be stay interested. I think it really picked up when he started introducing characters and their relationships. (Blomkvist, Lisbeth, Henrick)

2. Do you think the author built the characters enough by this point to intrigue you?
  I think that it's cool that he told their stories in such different ways. The character that I care for the most is Blomkvist, so far at least. Henricks's story was indepth and kept me interested the entire time. Lisbeth is still a bit of a stranger and we see how she's perceived not what she might actually be like.

A little bit, but using context clues I can usually figure out what it's supposed to mean.

4. What do you think about the narration of the story? Do you like that it jumps between several different characters?
  I like the point of view that it's told from. Jumping between characters is what keeps it interesting to me.

5. Do you like the fact that the author has broken the book up into parts and then further into chapters based on dates?
  I do like the parts, gives me sort of a 'mini goal' to reach. I'm indifferent on the dates. I don't pay attention to them at all.

I like how indepth it goes into character history and how well we get to know them. (Except Lisbeth) I don't really like all the names, those confuse me sometimes.
Kayla Zarn
Kayla Zarn

http://lifelovehospitals.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty My Answers

Post  rosie8604 Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Yes, it does start off slow. I didn't start to get really interested until I'm well into part 2.

The story is just really getting started. The author goes into such detail about a lot of unnecessary things that it kind of delays the good stuff.

At times yes, mostly the setting confuses me. It makes it difficult for me to envision it. I have never been to Sweden nor do I know anything about their politics, which are spoken about quite often.

I tend to like first person narration more, but I still enjoy the jumping between all of the different characters.

I actually really like the time line. I enjoy knowing the exact time of year the story is being told in.

I don't like all of the detail into the Swedish politics. I feel like the author goes into a lot of unnecessary back story. I do like Blomkvist a lot. I love Lisbeth even more, but I don't start to like her until I'm well into part two.

rosie8604

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty "This had better get really good, really fast."

Post  Bookwyrm Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 am

My opinion at the end of the first section. Now I'll answer the questions...

Very slow start. Like most readers, I have a pile of books waiting for me. Keep me turning pages or I'll move on. I'm still reading, but my mind's already on the next book on my list, this one isn't keeping my interest at all.

Eh. Mildly. Enough to keep me reading a bit longer.

Nope. I think the British spellings and "accent" help me remember that this isn't a clone of the U.S. with a different name.

I don't mind that it jumps between characters, but I prefer the writer's "rule" of one viewpoint per section and I don't care much for the omniscient viewpoint. It suits the story, but it makes the whole thing feel amateurish to me.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't pay any attention to the dates, or the chapters, for that matter.

I don't like much, honestly. Politics and finance are both boring, and the author goes into such exhaustive detail. I don't see any relevance to most of it. There's too much exposition and not enough action. I like Lisbeth. She's the only character who's doing anything interesting. Other than that... It's one of those books where you keep turning pages just because you're hoping it's going to get better.
Bookwyrm
Bookwyrm

Back to top Go down

Part 1 - Incentive - December 20 - January 3 Empty finally finished part 1

Post  LizzyB Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:09 am

I finally finished part 1 of this book and it is finally grabbing my attention. I find my mind has been wandering a bit during this first section so I am concerned that I may have missed some important information....I guess we shall see.
I am having a hard time differentiating between the characters honestly. Just at the end of part 1 am I finally able to remember who is who....probably because of the mind wandering thing as I read. Plus their names are hard for me to pronounce!
The Swedish to English is completely throwing me! As I read in another comment, I have never been to Sweden and can't even picture it...I am picturing a mountainous, dark, cold place-not sure why! And the names of things is hard to read and try to understand.
Now that I am getting more into the book, I am having an easier time with the jumping from character to charcter, but at first it was confusing.
I'm not going to lie, I haven't even paid attention to the dates of the sections of the book....oops hope that's not important!

LizzyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down