Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Let's Discuss That Book!
Please login.
Let's Discuss That Book!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deciding Our Second Book

+2
rosie8604
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty Deciding Our Second Book

Post  Admin Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Post a book or two that you'd love to read! The first 10 will go into a poll.

Admin
Admin

https://letsdiscussthatbook.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty This is hard!

Post  rosie8604 Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:59 pm

It's so hard for me to say what I want to read, because they're just so many! On top of all of the book I want to read they're so many books I want others to read....

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- This omnibus edition begins with The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in which Arthur Dent is introduced to the galaxy at large when he is rescued by an alien friend seconds before Earth's destruction. Then in The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Arthur and his new friends travel to the end of time and discover the true reason for Earth's existence. In Life, the Universe, and Everything, the gang goes on a mission to save the entire universe. So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish recounts how Arthur finds true love and "God's Final Message to His Creation." Finally, Mostly Harmless is the story of Arthur's continuing search for home, in which he instead encounters his estranged daughter, who is on her own quest. There's also a bonus short story, "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe," more of a vignette than a full story, which wraps up this completist's package of the Don't Panic chronicles. As the series progresses, its wackier elements diminish, but the satire of human life and foibles is ever present.
(We could just read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy as well...it's doesn't have to be the ultimate edition.)

The Maze Runner-Thomas wakes up in an elevator, remembering nothing but his own name. He emerges into a world of about 60 teen boys who have learned to survive in a completely enclosed environment, subsisting on their own agriculture and supplies from below. A new boy arrives every 30 days. The original group has been in "the glade" for two years, trying to find a way to escape through a maze that surrounds their living space. They have begun to give up hope. Then a comatose girl arrives with a strange note, and their world begins to change.

One of each!

Last edited by rosie8604 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

rosie8604

Back to top Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty So many books, so little time...

Post  Bookwyrm Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 am

I definitely want to read The Help. And, what about anything by Jodi Picoult? I've only read My Sister's Keeper, but that's definitely worth discussing. I haven't read any of her other stuff, but I'd be interested to check them out. And, I confess, I haven't heard of The ULTIMATE Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I'm up for any Douglas Adams. And, if we decide to go WAY out, what about John Dies at the End? You'd need a strong stomach for that one, though. I've only read the downloaded sample, but I was hooked by the "Stephen King meets Douglas Adams" description.
Bookwyrm
Bookwyrm

Back to top Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty Re: Deciding Our Second Book

Post  Kayla Zarn Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:13 pm

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is a 2005 novel by Jonathan Safran Foer. The book's narrator is a nine-year-old boy named Oskar Schell. In the story, Oskar discovers a key in a vase that belonged to his father that inspires him to search all around New York for information about the key.
Kayla Zarn
Kayla Zarn

http://lifelovehospitals.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kayla Zarn Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:14 pm

The Red Tent is a novel by Anita Diamant, published in 1997 by Wyatt Books for St. Martin's Press. It is a first-person narrative that tells the story of Dinah, daughter of Jacob and sister of Joseph. She is a minor character in the Bible, but the author has broadened her story.[1] The book's title refers to the tent in which women of Jacob's tribe must, according to the ancient law, take refuge while menstruating or giving birth, and in which they find mutual support and encouragement from their mothers, sisters and aunts
Kayla Zarn
Kayla Zarn

http://lifelovehospitals.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty I've read The Red Tent.

Post  Bookwyrm Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm

I liked it --I could read it again.
Bookwyrm
Bookwyrm

Back to top Go down

Deciding Our Second Book Empty The Habit by Susan Morse

Post  bnanamoore Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 pm

I thought this one looked kind of good too.

From the time she was conceived, Susan Morse was her mother’s “special” child. For Susan, special translated into becoming her incorrigible mother’s frazzled caretaker, a role that continued into adulthood. Now she finds herself as part of the sandwich generation, responsible for a woman whose eighty-five years have been single-mindedly devoted to identifying The Answer To Everything. And, this week’s Answer looks like it may be the real thing.

Susan’s mother is becoming a nun.

Mother Brigid is opinionated and discerning (Don’t call them trash cans. They’re scrap baskets!), feisty and dogmatic (Stop signs and No Parking zones are installed bybureaucratic pencil pushers with nothing better to do), a brilliant artist (truly, a saving grace), and predictably unpredictable, recently demonstrated by her decision to convert to Orthodox Christianity and join its holy order. Dressed in full nun regalia, she might be mistaken for a Taliban bigwig. But just as Mother Brigid makes her debut at church, a debilitating accident puts her in a rehab center hours from Susan’s home, where Susan’s already up to her neck juggling three teenagers, hot flashes, a dog, two cats, and a husband whose work pulls him away from the family for months at a time. Now Susan gets to find out if it’s less exhausting to be at her mother’s beck and call from one hundred miles away or one hundred feet. And she’s beginning to suspect that the things she always thought she knew about her mother were only the tip of a wonderfully singular iceberg.

In this fresh, funny, utterly irresistible memoir, Susan Morse offers readers a look at a mother-daughter relationship that is both universal and unique. For anyone who’s wondered how they made it through their childhood with their sanity intact, for every multitasking woman coping simultaneously with parents and children, for those of us who love our parents come hell or high water (because we just can’t help it), Susan Morse’s story is surprising, reassuring, and laugh-out-loud funny. A beguiling journey of love, forbearance, and self-discovery, The Habit introduces two unforgettable women you’ll be glad to know—from a safe distance.

bnanamoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Starr Brown Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I would like to either read the Help or 10th Anniversary by James Patterson.

Starr Brown

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down